A Scott's Journey

The random mumblings of a Scott as he travels through life's wicked turns and twists.

Name:
Location: Beaverton, Oregon, United States

Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Home ownership

So as with any new purchase there comes a certain level of glee. We were so pleased to have our new home we have been painting away and getting it ready. Yesterday the appliances were delivered to the house and I was so excited to have them installed only to find out I now have yet another project. I guess it would be too good to be true if everything went according to my plan. As the saying goes life is what happens on the way to your plan. Well all was going swimmingly until the dishwasher had to be installed. Here is where I find out how stupid the previous owners were in there attempt to update the kitchen. They built the cabinets directly onto the sub-floor instead of on top of the wood floors. Which created a problem with the height of the hole for the dishwasher. They way they decided to fix the problem was to install the countertop after putting the dishwasher in making it impossible to remove the dishwasher without either removing the countertop or removing the wood floors…ARGH. This is not what I signed up for. I wanted a slight cosmetic fixer, i.e. paint the walls, and now you are ready to move in. BUT NO! So I had to remove all the tile work in the kitchen and we are doing new tile work Now the time comes to decide on whether I’m going to install it myself of will I leave the task to someone much more skilled than myself to do it for me. I lean to the latter but my pocket book says to do it myself…It remains to be decided. Then you through into the mix the thought of having slab work done for you. Now that makes me stop to think…slab granite…nice. Some people don’t care much for granite countertops, I on the other hand, am a really big fan. The only problem is the cost of those slabs.

Ah the joys of home ownership. I’m sure this is not the last of the challenges we will encounter in our attempt to make this new home our home.

Cheers,

Jay

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home